Thursday, September 20, 2012

Post Surgery - Day 1

Today is Day 1 post surgery (right hip arthroscopy with labral repair). I woke up early and was actually pleasantly surprised by my pain level. I was in so much pain yesterday after the epic cab ride home that I thought I was in for it today. But I would rate the pain at a 6. The cold was actually bothering me more than the leg. I woke up in the middle of the night around 3, maneuvered my way to the bathroom pretty easily and then took some drugs. Went back to sleep after that pretty easily.

I was eager to get on the CPM machine to get some movement going. Derek set me up, I ate some omelet while I watched Breaking Bad on Netflix and then passed out. Napped through most of the 2 hour session, then had Derek switch me to ice machine.

The rest of the day was filled with frustrations.
Feeling great, I was eager to get some work done. But, when i went to start up my work laptop, it wouldn't start. I tried multiple outlets, but nothing. Huge bummer.
I also discovered that my antibiotics didn't make it home from the hospital with me. Not sure how that happened. I called the emergent care clinic that prescribed them and they blew me off.
Called GameReady to find out how to program my machine to cycle on and off and found out I didn't get that type of machine. Apparently its random which one they give you. They did offer to ship me the programmable though so I can switch.
Derek had a lot of work stuff scheduled today so he was swamped and not able to focus on me. So of course I dropped, and spilled and got stuck. I even knocked two full toilet paper rolls into the toilet. I had a few pity parties/tantrums over the afternoon.

CPM round 2 around 2pm for 2 hours. Followed that up with several rounds of ice machine.

Took a round of medication at 11.
Felt really nauseous  and thought that i might actually throw up. Took some Zofran and it passed.
Took another round of meds at 5.

Its 10 now, and I'm definitely ready for pain killers. Holding off so that I can take it right before bed. The pain is at a 7.5. Its on the outside of the leg.
First day of physical therapy is tomorrow. New place - I'm nervous!

A few observations so far:
-the raised toilet seat was THE BEST thing i have ever purchased. It has made going to the bathroom so much easier.
-its much more difficult to maneuver my right (freshly operated) leg with my left, than it was last time around. I have a lot of weakness in my left. I am going to have A LOT of work to do in physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment